Breaking News
Loading...
Thursday, August 26, 2010

Info Post
grey wool skirt b

This time of year can get a bit draggy, really – it's still cold, it's often grey, a bit rainy. I love winter, but often by now I have had my fun with open fireplaces and red wine and cheese and general warmy goodtimes, and start longing for warmer days and sunshine. And, of course, less layers… This time it's been made a bit easier for me in a few ways; I recently got some new skirts that are good for cold days (and freezing mornings – less than 0C this morning! For us here down under, that's really, really cold!) This one is a soft, pure wool skirt I picked up at an op shop. It was a couple of sizes too big, and really very long – swinging around my upper ankles, nanna style – and so I took a deep breath and started altering. And I am really quite happy with the results. Surprised, even! The shape itself was already great, with its tiny waist and very full, almost circle hem; definitely nodding, friendly like, at the New Look. It does has pockets in both side seams, which did add a bit of extra trickiness, but by taking in two existing darts in the back it now fits perfectly. I then had to deal with the length; I like a longer length (ie a fair little bit below the knee) with full skirts, and needed to take this one up by about 5 inches. To be completely candid it is not the best hem job I could have done – I wanted to make sure the length was perfect – and that it was straight! – before I chopped anything, and I needed an expert second opinion, too :) Now I know that I have the length right, I am ready to do it properly – which will involve chopping and re-hemming and general faffing, but it will be worth it. The thing is, now we have Spring just around the corner, I have plenty on sewing projects for my summery clothes!

grey wool skirt a

Wow, well done if you got through all that :) Two other things helping to keep me warm right now – wearing gloves and a hat indoors. I am lucky that my job allows for both, of course. I find that they make a huge difference, and, hopefully, might help my poor be-frosted finger nails to recover, too. Fingers crossed (boom boom). xxx

grey wool skirt c

I have been thinking of putting my sewing projects on here – are you interested? I am basically a novice with some rather excellent guidance (lucky!) and am getting more, well, ambitious? overly optimistic? perhaps simply progressing?! with it all. Please let me know in the comments bit what you think :)


skirt, belt, top, scarf // op shop
shoes // those old target ones *hearts*
hat and gloves // vintage

grey wool skirt d

0 comments:

Post a Comment