Breaking News
Loading...
Sunday, February 20, 2011

Info Post
I can't say that these ten are the BEST trailers ever, or even my favorites. There are just too many out there, and the task of finding my absolute favorites is just too daunting. The ten below, however, all stand out to me for one reason or another. But consider this the most fluid of all my top 10s so far.

*Note: Movie titles are linked to YouTube, where you can see the trailers themselves. Links to my review of these films are included, as well.

10.) Where the Wild Things Are - Love me some Arcade Fire, and it felt like the perfect choice for this trailer. With Spike Jonze, it's fair to expect something quirky, and any concerns that this film would be a little too family-friendly were dispelled by this preview.

The film? Weird, wild, and wonderful. Everything the trailer promised it would be.

9.) Somewhere - Another trailer that employs a real song to great effect, I love this one for its simplicity. The music and action in the preview signal a quiet, touching movie.

The film? Quiet, yes. Simple, yes. Touching, no way. Ironically, everything I loved about the trailer was everything I hated about the film itself. It's an absolute mess. (My review)

8.) Zombieland - Typically, I wouldn't care a lick to see a film like this. It was the trailer that completely sold me. It just looked like a lot of fun. Woody Harrelson hanging from a roller coaster shooting zombies with an automatic? How can that not be fun?

The film? As much fun as the trailer promised.

7.) Doubt - This one is a bit different than the others on the list so far. It's a bit more straightforward--it introduces you to the plot and gives a peak at some of the dramatic highs of the film. But that set-up is just brilliant. The trailer promises a real battle between two colossal figures...

The film? ...and the film follows through. The battle is colossal and incredibly compelling. (My review)

6.) Battle Los Angeles - This one works so well because it's makes you completely question your expectations of the film. What you might think would be a very generic action film actually looks like a grim, apocalyptic tale.

The film? Won't know for a few weeks. Despite the intriguing trailer, I'm not too optimistic.

5.) Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - Fast cuts, lots of big effects-driven shots, an epic score--that's usually the recipe for a successful action trailer. And I think the fifth installment of the Harry Potter series gives us one of the best.

The film? I think it's the strongest of the series. (My review)

4.) Little Children - The "oncoming train" metaphor is a brilliant, unique, and almost haunting way to present a trailer.

The film? Extraordinary

3.) The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - A life in two minutes. Haters of the film can't possibly complain about the trailer. It's a nearly perfect representation of an admittedly long piece of art.

The film? You all probably know my thoughts already. Fincher's best work, and one of the finest movies in recent years. (My review)

2.) The Social Network - Any concerns about the "Facebook movie" were put to rest after this fascinating preview hit. Sorkin's dialogue is the star of the trailer, and the Radiohead cover is a brilliant touch.

The film? A terrific (and very rewatchable) movie. (My review)

1.) Cloverfield - It sparked one of the biggest viral marketing campaigns in film history and really hooked a lot of people who wouldn't normally dig this sort of thing. How could you not be intrigued by the mystery of the Statue of Liberty's head being hurled down a busy New York street by some unseen force?

The film? Not up to par with the preview, but really, how could it be? It's a fun film, but nothing incredibly memorable.

0 comments:

Post a Comment