Breaking News
Loading...
Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Info Post
I know that it's not a popular opinion, but I actually find Stanley Donen's Saturn 3 to be one of the most interesting flicks of the Space: 1970 era. I'm not going to make any great claims as to its subjective quality, but for all its faults, there are some truly fascinating things going on in the movie.

The production design, by the late John Barry (not to be confused with the composer of the same name) is astounding; the sets, space suits, spaceships, and, especially, the killer robot Hector, are just beautiful late 70s sci-fi creations. The Elmer Bernstein score is also quite good.

It has a bad reputation as an Alien knock-off, and a lot of modern viewers have trouble with the fact that Harvey Keitel was dubbed (although, when I first saw this, I had no idea who Keitel was, so I honestly didn't notice), but I'm not sure it's quite as bad as it's reputed to be.  Admittedly, I've only seen it twice - once back in the early 80s on late night TV, and again on the old Artisan DVD when it first came out in the late 90s - but I remember enjoying it both times. I think its getting to be time to dig out the disc and check it out again....

0 comments:

Post a Comment