Breaking News
Loading...
Monday, July 18, 2011

Info Post
I've just posted my review of the Shout! Factory Blu-ray edition of 1977's post-Apocalyptic actioner, Damnation Alley, over at my DVD Late Show website. While it's not fantastic, it's a very respectable presentation.
I generally don't use the adjective "cheesy" when describing vintage genre films; too often it's just a euphemism for "old" used by those with a lack of perspective or appreciation for anything created before their birth. But DAMNATION ALLEY - from its dumbed-down script to its sloppy (even for the time) optical effects work - is a cheesy science fiction film. It's fun - no question - but it's not good. For every moment of genuine character development or attempt at pathos, there's a poorly-conceived action scene or carpet of rubber cockroaches being dragged by strings. I am genuinely thrilled to have it on Blu-ray, but I'm not oblivious to its failings. 
 Read my full review HERE.

0 comments:

Post a Comment