Breaking News
Loading...
Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Info Post

What a morning! It was exhausting, really. There is only so much whining I can deal with about Drive not getting a Best Picture nomination or Michael Fassbender not recognized for Shame. Just give it a rest. An Oscar nomination doesn't add or take away from a film or performance's impact, so all I want to see are happy, smiley tweets and blog posts, OK?

With that in mind (and out of the way), I have to say I'm pretty pumped. There were a good amount of surprises, which is ultimately all I really hope for. Below is a rundown of the major categories with predicted winners and potential surprises, as well as the actors, producers, and directors that might be doing shots tonight. I'll be back later this week with Part 2, covering the crafts.

Best Picture
The Artist
The Descendants
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
The Help
Hugo
Midnight in Paris
Moneyball
The Tree of Life
War Horse


Wow. Easily the biggest surprises of the day were the number of Best Picture nominees (9!), and the inclusion of Stephen Daldry's 9/11 film, which has gotten some of the worst reviews I've ever seen. I haven't seen it yet, so I can't say too much on the matter. I'm thrilled The Tree of Life made it in. I predicted it, but it was far from a lock. Beyond that, it's business as expected. Strong field? Yeah, I'd say so.

Predicted Winner: The Artist
Potential Spoiler: Hugo
Surprising Snub: I'm guessing The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo would have been the tenth film, but its exclusion isn't a major surprise.


Best Director
Michel Hazanavicius, The Artist
Alexander Payne, The Descendants
Martin Scorsese, Hugo
Woody Allen, Midnight in Paris
Terrence Malick, The Tree of Life

We knew four of the names. I had just been hoping the fifth would be Malick. Yeah, I'm feeling very happy today.

Predicted Winner: Michel Hazanavicius, The Artist
Potential Spoiler: Martin Scorsese, Hugo
Surprising Snub: I went 5/5, so none, really, but I guess Fincher or Spielberg wouldn't have shocked me.


Best Actor
Demián Bichir, A Better Life
George Clooney, The Descendants
Jean Dujardin, The Artist
Gary Oldman, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
Brad Pitt, Moneyball

The category that made me happiest today. Reason #1: Gary Oldman. An incredible performance from an amazing actor. Finally, finally, finally we can call him an Oscar nominee. Reason #2: Demian Bichir. BOOM, called it! Just gotta catch up with the film...

Predicted Winner: George Clooney, The Descendants
Potential Spoiler: Jean Dujardin, The Artist
Surprising Snub: Fassbender and DiCaprio, who earned the lion's share of precursor nods.


Best Actress
Viola Davis, The Help
Glenn Close, Albert Nobbs
Rooney Mara, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Meryl Streep, The Iron Lady
Michelle Williams, My Week With Marilyn

I've had Mara in there all season long, but swapped her out at the last minute. Still, it was in favor of Glenn Close, not Tilda Swinton. A little bummed about Charlize Theron and the lack of Young Adult love. Oh well.

Predicted Winner: Meryl Streep, The Iron Lady
Possible Spoiler: Viola Davis, The Help
Surprising Snub: Swinton


Best Supporting Actor
Kenneth Branagh, My Week With Marilyn
Jonah Hill, Moneyball
Nick Nolte, Warrior
Christopher Plummer, Beginners
Max Von Sydow, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

No Albert Brooks was a major surprise. I thought he could be a spoiler for the win, but the Academy clearly did not like Drive. Shocking that they couldn't embrace this ultra-violent character study. Truly shocking. He gets bumped in favor of Von Sydow, but my heart belongs to Jonah Hill in this category. So happy such a subtle but sterling turn was rewarded.

Predicted Winner: Christopher Plummer, Beginners
Potential Spoiler: None? Maybe Nolte?
Surprising Snub: Brooks, one of the bigger surprises of the entire day


Best Supporting Actress
Bérénice Bejo, The Artist
Jessica Chastain, The Help
Melissa McCarthy, Bridesmaids
Janet McTeer, Albert Nobbs
Octavia Spencer, The Help

There's a reason comedies don't get nominated very often: Comedy is subjective. It's harder to form a consensus around a comedy film. I think that's what probably stopped Bridesmaids from getting a Best Picture nomination (though few would argue that it wasn't at least in the mix). Melissa McCarthy, it seems, was too funny to ignore. Whatever. I would've, but that's me. I know plenty of people who were head-over-heels for this performance, so congrats. But it'll come down to The Help's girls for the win.

Predicted Winner: Octavia Spencer, The Help
Possible Spoiler: Jessica Chastain, The Help
Surprising Snub: Shailene Woodley, The Descendants

0 comments:

Post a Comment