Breaking News
Loading...
Sunday, January 22, 2012

Info Post
by Clare Langley-Hawthorne



I had great difficulty rousing myself to write this blog post as we are down at my sister's beach house on the amazing Great Ocean Road and so I am definitely in holiday mode! This is the Australian summer and we are taking our last opportunity to enjoy surf and sun before the school year starts next week. Anyway, I've been thinking a lot about resistance lately - those pesky barriers that seem to get in the way of actually writing. Call it procrastination. Call it fear. Whatever it is, it's resistance. The brick wall that prevents you from getting the job of writing done.


For me resistance takes the form of a little voice inside that makes me doubt my own abilities. It goads me into avoiding the difficult task of facing an empty page and quite often, it works. To overcome this I remind myself that writing is my profession and, no matter how daunting the task sometimes seems, I just need to roll up my sleeves and get down to it. I succeed in overcoming 'resistance' in this way..well, most of the time...


I am just coming down off the high of finishing my WIP and so a new project beckons and with it the dreaded empty page...and so the little voice starts and I have to draw upon all my will power to combat the 'resistance'. It's kind of like the anti-force!


At least for the next few days I can be in holiday mode but then the real work starts. So what kind of resistance do you face when writing? Is it a little voice that undermines your confidence or an external force that tries to divert you from the writing course?


How do you overcome resistance? 

0 comments:

Post a Comment